Maple Crescent Farm (Campbellcroft) at 9741 County road 10 is a family owned and operated horse boarding and trail riding facility established in 2003. The 150 acre farm is located in the rolling hills of Northumberland and is adjacent to 11,000 acres of the Ganaraska Forest for trails. The photos featured here are what at first glance were assumed to be that of Pegasus, a mythical winged divine stallion. According to Wikipedia this was one of the most recognized creature in Greek mythology. Usually depicted as pure white, the child of the Olympian god Poseidon. The next time you are heading north on county road 10, slow down and admire this amazing horse even if it does not have wings!
The entrance signs to Millbrook, Ontario, population 8,600 feature the caption “Home of Serena Ryder.” Ryder, a multi Juno Award winner was born in Toronto and grew up in Millbrook. Serena began singing at the age of 8 at the local Royal Canadian Legion hall and motor hotels. She began guitar playing at 13 and song writing soon after. She is now based between Toronto and Los Angeles. Millbrook features the historic restored Needler’s Mill, a two story mural depicting the former Midland Railway Station and some forty designated heritage buildings as well as some great hiking trails.
The 4th Line Theatre is an outdoor Canadian company theatre located on the Zion Line (former 4th Line) just south of Millbrook, Ontario. Founded by Robert Winslow in 1992, the 150 acre farm has been in the Winslow family for over 150 years. The theatre produces and develops everything from original Canadian stories to national sagas.
The Ganaraska Hiking Trail Association cairn located opposite of the Port Hope Town Hall marks the southern terminus of the trail. The Ganaraska Trail officially opened on April 21, 1968. It began along the Ganaraska River in Port Hope and connected to the Bruce Trail near Glen Huron. The GHTA has been expanded to Midland and to Wasaga Beach and with side trails is now about 500 kilometers long. The plaque was funded by the estate of Phil LaPenna, a long- time member of the association who encouraged others to hike. This year (2018) marks fifty years for the Ganaraska Hiking Trail Association.
The Patricia Lawson/Jack Goering Trail is a section of the Ganaraska Hiking Trail. The establishment of this trail was the work of many people, but none more than its co-founders Jack Goering and Patricia Lawson. Both Jack and Patricia passed away in June, 2016. In 1967 Pat was the president of the Willow Beach Field Naturalists and Jack was a member of the executive when the hiking trail was first proposed. The local section of this 1.5 km trail along the east side of the Ganaraska River between Barrett Street and Jocelyn Street was designated as the Patricia Lawson- Jack Goering Trail by the Port Hope Municipal Council on March 21, 2017. What the locals fondly call The Pat/Jack Trail is very popular with both residents and visitors because of its quiet beauty, access to the river and location in the heart of urban Port Hope. The large bear located beside the cairn above, was generously donated by Rick Rogalski owner of the Ganaraska Hotel on Ontario Street Port Hope.
Mount Ararat Plaque, located on Lander Road in Gore’s Landing. Catherine Parr Traill (Nee Strickland) was born in 1802 in Bungay, Suffolk, England. One of Canada’s most distinguished writers moved with her family from Wolf Towers nearby to the farm they named Mount Ararat, “the highest elevation on the Rice Lake Plains.” This was the locale for her famous book for children “Canadian Crusoes” later called “Lost in the Backwoods.” In 1849 the Traill family moved a few miles east to Oaklands located on Traill Road.